Thursday, December 9, 2010

Ornamental Holiday Greetings


Since we watched Gremlins to get in the holiday spirit last night (yes, take that in), I didn't have any time to stamp.  This clean and simple card was made by fellow demonstrator Rae Richardson, and I received it in the swap at the Baltimore Regional.  Kiran and I got lots of great cards--and great ideas!--that day.

Today's bingo piece is the candy cane.  Yum!

Now that you've been playing along for a while, I want to take a few minutes to explain what this stamping thing is all about.  First and foremost, this is my hobby and I love it!  Unlike my work, I can sit down and do something from start to finish in under 15 minutes.  That alone is very satisfying.  This also lets me be a little more creative than I am normally...I was one of those kids who always wanted a big art kit for Christmas, but let's face it, I can't draw.  Stamping is a nice middle ground, and it's also a great way to keep in touch with my friends without raiding Hallmark (as I used to).

As much fun as I have creating on my own, it's always more fun to make cards with others.  Kiran and I have spent many fantastic hours together, chatting and stamping and comparing new ideas.  Sadly, those hours are few and far between now.  Sigh.  But I've also met lots of new people through stamping, every time someone has hosted a card party in their home or with their friends.  I'd love to meet some new people in Philly, and Kiran is hoping to make more friends in Jersey.  Would you be interested in hosting a workshop?

How does a workshop work?  Well, it's really simple and really fun.  As the hostess, you gather together a group of friends for a few hours of crafty fun and you provide the snacks.  You and I work together to decide what project you'd like to do with your friends--it could be a card, or decor elements, or a scrapbook page, or a 3-D object; there are plenty of options.  Then I bring everything we need to get started, and help everyone along the way.  Each of your guests makes their own project, and keeps it at the end of the workshop.  Everyone has a chance to order stamp, inks and paper of their own, but there's no obligation to do that.  The main goal is to have fun and unleash a little creative energy.  Even if you never wanted an art kit, you'd be surprised what you can make and how much fun you'll have!  If you're at all interested, send us an email to set up a workshop for after the holidays, when our focus will be thank you, valentine, and birthday cards.

The other thing that Kiran and I do, and are doing lots more of this year, is design and make wedding, shower, and general party invitations.  This is also great fun, but I'll talk about that another time.

Cheers!
~Melanie

Stamps: Sincere Salutations
Ink: Cherry Cobbler
Paper: Old Olive, Very Vanilla, Jolly Holiday DSP
Extras: Old Olive Taffeta ribbon, Ornament Punch, Big Shot, Perfect Details Texture Plates

No comments:

Post a Comment