Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Take Note


This card may look simple, and it is, but it was a big challenge for me.  I usually skip right past the nature sets that Stampin' Up! offers, but my best friend since preschool is getting married this summer, and she asked me to make her stationery that reflects her Western, outdoorsy, casual but classy wedding.  Look for invitation ideas in the coming weeks.  

Since I am stepping outside my comfort zone, I decided to start simply and design a thank you card.  This is my first attempt, and it is a winner with the bride!  Just what she was envisioning, she tells me.  My inspiration came from Chris Twing's year-end round up--her feather card is so simple and stunning.  As soon as I saw it, I had an aha moment and got right to work.

My first step was to create a mask to use to make the shaded box.  I took a piece of regular notebook paper and ripped it into strips, then glued the strips together in the corners to make a frame of sorts.  Next, I adhered this to the Naturals Ivory card base with Dotto (removable adhesive--a must!), and sponged Certainly Celery ink inside the box until I got a shade that I liked.  Then I removed the mask, rubbed off the dots of glue, and stamped the bison from In Wilderness in the center.  I saved the frame so I can mass produce these, because I certainly will be making LOTS of them!

Cheers!
~Melanie

Stamps: In Wilderness
Ink: Chocolate Chip, Certainly Celery
Paper: Naturals Ivory

No comments:

Post a Comment