Sunday, October 10, 2010
Fall Decor Project
Since fall is here, I wanted to have a nice wreath on our door, and this has kept me busy during my free moments last week. I got this idea from the cover of last month's Stampin' Success--a great magazine that Stampin' Up! sends to all its demonstrators once a month. It's another great perk of being a demonstrator, and I encourage you to consider all the other benefits. The cover featured a number of ornamental balls that were covered in fall leaves, and the instructions were inside the magazine.
Here is my halfway there picture, so I can show you all the ingredients. I bought a styrofoam wreath form at a local craft store, and also got my straight pins out of my sewing kit. I used textured cardstock for this, and my Leaves #2 Die with the Big Shot. I cut out lots and lots of leaves (6 sets from each color), and then embossed them using the new Vintage Wallpaper embossing folder. Most of these colors are retired, since I was hoping to use up my stash--Sage Shadow, Summer Sun, Really Rust, Pumpkin Pie, Ruby Red, and Chocolate Chip. So by the time I was done cutting out all those leaves, I had a huge pile of 144 leaves, ready to go. I thought it was a lot, until I got halfway and worried I'd run out!
No need to worry, I had a few left over. I attached the leaves to the styrofoam using the straight pins. Then, as I kept layering, I used those mini glue dots to attach the leaves to each other, making sure that they conformed to the wreath shape and covered up the pin heads. It was a lot of work, but makes a great wreath for our apartment door...and I get to tell admirers that I made it myself!
Check back for great decor ideas all this week!
Paper: Sage Shadow, Summer Sun, Really Rust, Pumpkin Pie, Ruby Red, Chocolate Chip
Extras: Big Shot, Leaves #2, Vintage Wallpaper embossing folder, Mini Glue Dots