Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Hello Daisy

A color combination recently caught my eye on a quick shopping trip, and I had to try it for myself.  Bright yellow and deep grey became Summer Sun and Basic Grey...but there's no way to stamp Summer Sun onto Basic Grey.  Big Shot to the rescue!

With my Daisies #2 die (which must have been hibernating for the winter), I cut out three each of both the grey and yellow, so I'd be able to layer with abandon.  Using Dotto to hold everything together, and I offset the daisies slightly to get this very full petal look.  Then I grabbed a coordinating corduroy button in Basic Grey for the center, and my daisy was ready for a card.

This is a pretty large card: 5-1/4 by 5-1/4.  There's so much room to write!  I grabbed some designer series paper in Basic Grey (from a retired set) and mounted that on summer sun for the thinnest of borders.  However, I was then at a loss for a greeting--especially because you can't stamp onto such a dark color.  I also wanted a greeting that would be as bold as the daisy, so I turned again to the Big Shot.  With my Timeless Type sizzlits, I cut out a very bright hello...and added an exclamation point (a) for emphasis (b) because my word wasn't centered.  Which do you think is the right answer?

TIP: To save paper/reduce oddly shaped scraps when using the Timeless Type dies, punch out your paper with the 1-1/4" square punch first.  That way you get only the letter you want, and I was able to use my scraps from the daisies.

This card is ready to go in the mail, but it's more likely that I'll hand-deliver this one or stick it in a package.  The size and shape mean that this card requires extra postage, and that's an important detail!

Cheers!
~Melanie

Paper: Summer Sun, Basic Grey, Whisper White, Urban Oasis (retired)
Extras: Big Shot, Daisies #2, Timeless Type, Basic Grey Corduroy Buttons

No comments:

Post a Comment